Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vendors, laptops, and VPN clients

From: "Burton M. Strauss III" <Burton () FelisCatus org>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:25:17 -0600

The safest bet is to put all of your PUBLIC and semi-PUBLIC spaces
(conference rooms, lobby, etc.) into a DMZ:

 (Internet)-->(router)->(minimal-firewall)--->(DMZ)
                                           |->(semiPUB)
                                           \->(firewall)->(LAN)

Then let 'em VPN back home, just like your folks will need to VPN in.

Is it perfect?  Nope.  But is it good enough?  Probably...

Most VPNs configure the PC to force all traffic down the tunnel.  Sure you
CAN "route add" around it, but that's 1) beyond most users and 2) something
you can prohibit via policy and training.

-----Burton