Security Basics mailing list archives

FW: How secure is VPN access?

From: "Stephane Auger" <stephaneauger () pre2post com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 06:43:05 -0500

 There are some quarantine services available now.  I don't know for all
Oses but I do know that MS provides this.  What happens is you create a
script that verfies a few things on the client connecting (Firewall?
AV?  Pattern file up to date?  Strong Password?  Etc...).  If everything
is OK on the client, he connects fully on the LAN.  If he's missing some
components, he'll either have access but be completely locked down to
the rest of the network, or his connection will be dropped.  It can even
redirect the client to a web site to install the software he's
missing....

  I know this is not a perfect solution, but I've seen it as being
pretty pratical and adds a layer of security.  Of course, so far I've
only used it on Win2k and Win2k3 domains, so I can't vouch for the same
solution on other platforms...

Stephane Auger