Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: possible rooted systems

Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:35:47 -0500

Hello,

My comment wasn't meant to be the only step in correcting the problem,
I was adding to the comment above mine (and other suggestions to come
about closing  holes).  Once the problems are discovered and holes are
found and closed, re-imaging would still be necessary since more
likely than not the problem has allot to do with malware, and even
when holes are closed in the network the computer would likely still
find away to be a nuisance and a security risk on the network.  .

Read only Master copies is surely necessary but not always convenient
when fixing multiple machines.  Using MD5 Check sums on the images
would allow you to use it the USB drive the way I suggested and
provide the security needed to ensure the images were not modified.

Either way, close up the hole in the network.  Begin cleaning up PC's
however you need.  As a previous poster mentioned considered upgrading
the 98 machines, and wherever  possible implement host hardening.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:06:48 -0700 (PDT), Alvin Oga