Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Deletion of all files owned by specific owner

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:46:17 +0100

It sounds like someone executed the followoing command:

user@host~:# find -uid `id -u` -exec rm -f {} \;

Check the ~/.bash_history for the user, if you have and kind of process
accounting or auditing this could help you. Otherwise, check
/var/log/messages, or /var/adm/messages or whereever your logs are to see if
the command produced any errors that might have been logged.

other than that, you are probably in the cold without a jacket.

Cheers,

Chris