Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need to implemet Syslog server

From: Jon Agland <jon () sftwales com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:45:03 +0000

Syslog on Unix/Linux doesn't seem to use that much CPU/Memory it seems however
to be a big user of Hard Disk space, only Today we had a site that we had
been logging port 135 traffic from their Router to a very aging SPARC 4 and
it had managed to write nearly 4GB of data in 2 days, it did however not
affect any of the other services running on the machine (Exim + Bind)

Alternatively we have a SunFire v100 with 512MB of RAM, receiving syslogs from
37 routers and this manages fine along with running a webserver and MRTG for
the same 37 Routers (about 6 interfaces on each, plus temperature probing a
batch of routers every minute).

Therefore, I would think that you just need a machine with Linux (whatever
flavour!) 500MHZ+, 256MB of RAM, but make you have lots of discs space (how
much depends how many long you want to keep data for and how much each
machine is creating).  Also I would consider RAID (IDE Raid would do) if you
are paranoid or its absolutely mission crucial.   You would want to implement
log rotation so the logs don't get so big that you fill the disc on the
server.  Consider putting /var/log onto a seperate partition so you don't
affect the Operating System in the event that you do fill the drive.

All you will need to do to syslog so that the messages are not in the same
file as the Unix/Linux machine messages is add an entry in /etc/syslog.conf..

local7.debug                                    /var/log/filename.log

Cheers

Jon.