Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DHCP scanning

From: Ghaith Nasrawi <libero () aucegypt edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:28:27 -0500

Look for relevant ports .... (Obviously, the server ports)

546
546/tcp
dhcpv6-client
DHCPv6 Client
546
546/udp
dhcpv6-client
DHCPv6 Client
547
547/udp
dhcpv6-server
DHCPv6 Server
547
547/tcp
dhcpv6-server
DHCPv6 Server
647
647/udp
dhcp-failover
DHCP Failover
647
647/tcp
dhcp-failover
DHCP Failover
847
847/tcp
dhcp-failover2
dhcp-failover 2
847
847/udp
dhcp-failover2
dhcp-failover 2
2490
2490/udp
qip-qdhcp
qip_qdhcp
2490
2490/tcp
qip-qdhcp
qip_qdhcp

taken from http://www.snort.org/ports.html?port=dhcp

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 20:44 +0100, Bénoni MARTIN wrote:
Hi list !

I was wondering if there was way to scan a network (a class C) to look for DHCP machines (I know I can ask the DHCP
server, but I want to know what machines are under DHCP independly, and check after with what the DHCP server claims).

I was thinking about creating such a plugin to report the results in Big Brother or Nagios. Developping it is not
really a trouble, but I don't know exactly what checks do I have to perform, what queries send to the machines, ...

Any clue would be helpful !
--

 (o_
 //\   Ghaith Nasrawi