Security Basics mailing list archives

Moderator Policy regarding SPAM auto-responders

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 17:05:50 -0700

After returning from vacation, I have noticed several new subscribers here who are using 3rd party "spam proxies", whereby one must click on a URL to verify that he is, in fact, a human being and not a piece of spam. Auto-responders such as these will respond to every single person who posts to the list.

Obviously, this is not acceptable for a busy list with nearly 13,000 subscribers.

I have emailed the parties involved. However, I would like to state for the record my policy on such abuses: in the future anyone who uses these "spam features" that auto-respond to the generous people who contribute to this list will be immediately removed from our listserv without warning. We all get enough spam as it is, and one should not be penalized for contributing his experience to the success of this list.

Regards,

Kelly Martin
moderator