Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure Remote access?

From: "Scott C. Best" <sbest () best com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 19:57:57 +0000 (GMT)

Chad:

        Heya. At the risk of being self-promotional, might I suggest
you give Kaboodle a try? It combines VNC with Zebedee to create what
I call a "personal VPN" capability. It's designed for the "average"
Internet user (ie, someone who knows what their email address is, but
not what their IP address is), and your relatives might count. It's
also free and open-source.

        Just this weekend, we released version 0.99d which when
combined with a KaboodleProxy server, allows Kaboodle users to VNC
and file-transfer across a firewall/router without either side
having to do any port-forwarding adjustments. That is, with one
person running the KaboodleProxy server (eg, you) for a community
of users (eg, your relatives), none of the end-users need to worry
about port-forwarding or dynamic-DNS or the like.

        I hope it proves useful:        http://www.Kaboodle.org

cheers,
Scott