Security Basics mailing list archives

shell to root through ftp?

From: fIrestOrm <dskw_86 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:47:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I have a question that has been bugging me for days. I
plan to run an ftp server on my home pc runing redhat
to serve some users. For those users, they will have
their home directory configured as their default
directory when they log on to ftp.

My questions are:

-What are the possible implications if they are
allowed to traverse and enter every directory
including / (root) but excluding /root (due to
permissions set)? Are they able to get a shell prompt
through ftp only?

-apache 1.3 is also running on the same box, hence,
the users are granted access to www-root. One possible
scenario I can think of is by uploading netcat and
running it using HTTP. Can it be done through apache?
If so, how?

-Are there any avenues for privilege escalation to
rootuser here?

-Are there any other scenarios which utilizes ftp as
an attack vector to get a shell prompt ? (please
exclude rootkits, chmod to protect /bin, www-root
etc).

thanks