Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WLAN in a secure SME environment

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:08:40 +0100

On 2004-11-03 Shaineel Singh wrote:
I am in the process of providing a solution for an SME that currently
employs both wired and wireless clients. I can provide rudimentary
security for the WLAN by hardcoding MAC addresses on the AP and
disabling DHCP amongst other methods.

My question to the list is this, besides making sure that very little
information is sent via cleartext in wireless mode to circumvent
wireless sniffing, etc. what sorts of methods could I use to
effectively segregate the WLAN and LAN? We are talking about a M$
environment with winXP being the operating system on most laptops and
workstations. Would it be easier to just have a VPN setup when clients
are forced to use wireless as their access method?

A VPN over the WLAN and separation of wired and wireless network
segments with a filtering router between them is the *only* way to a
secure WLAN.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Those who would give up liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety, and will lose both."