Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ISP reconfiguring cable modem?

From: "Yvan Boily" <yboily () seccuris com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 20:04:42 -0500

You really need to read the DOCSIS standards to get a handle on how cable
modems work.

Most cable modems are assigned a configuration via a file transferred from a
TFTP server (At least they were a few years ago...)

The cable plant runs on a separate address space and is not directly
addressable (if configured properly) from the computer connected to the
cable modem.

When you agree to the terms of service you agree to the configuration
provided by the service provider.  Tampering with the provided configuration
settings constitutes theft of service, and is punishable by heavy fines and
possibly jail time depending on where you are.

For more info see http://www.cablelabs.com