Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: process identification

From: Stijn De Weirdt <stdweird () carl ugent be>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 17:41:06 +0200 (CEST)

hi all,

thanks for the many suggestions. it turned out that it was a rootkit
(found it with the chkrootkit, but the other one didn't saw it, thanks go
to niek for the links). the chkrootkit reported an infected /sbin/init and
the chkproc gave 2 hidden processes. the computer has been taken offline,
i've been changing a lot of passwds (found a nasty .sniffer-file), and
will do reinstall asap (this time with a minimum of installed servers and
a working config of iptables ;).

i still have some questions though: why would one suspect an infected
netstat when it actually showed that the port was occupied? the lsof i
later used was freshly compiled, netstat was still the same.
and what can be done against rootkits? (apart from good firewall).
is a combination of chkrootkit and cron effective (and what about
updates?). when using the detector from rootkit.nl, i saw they asked about
about md5sum-checked files. i assume you can do some sort of combination
of slocate and md5sum, and then check against that database every night.
how effective would this be?

again thanks for the suggestions

stijn

Stijn,

Your machines is probably compromised by script kiddies, who have installed a rootkit.
Todays rootkits can mask pids, processes, iptables settings ect.

There is much info to be found what to do when you realize you've been compromised.
I'm not going to elaborate on that here.
Tools like www.chkrootkit.org and www.rootkit.nl can help you identify the malware used.

Kind regards,

Niek

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html