Security Basics mailing list archives

Captive Portal

From: "Jason Jaszewski" <sec_info () page55 com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:37:19 -0500

Hello list,
        I have been asked to do some research on captive portals (for wireless
network connections) and make a recommendation for using one captive portal
over another. So far, I have looked at NoCat and Reliawave Internet Plug and
Play Server Gateway II, and have found many other resources via Google.
        What I'd like are responses based upon your experience with using them and
which products you thought were good and/or not so good from a security
standpoint. Mainly, for the purpose of this list, I am concerned with the
security concerns that people have who have used them in a production
environment. Where did your main security concerns lie? What security
features were most important in your decision to go with one type of captive
portal over another? Were you considering a captive portal and then decided
against using one for security reasons? The solution does not need to be
open source or inexpensive. I am just looking for some information on what
you have used in your environment.
        I'd be especially interested in anyone who has configured a captive portal
in such a setting as a hotel or convention center, where users must enter
personal information and are charged for their Internet usage.

Thank you,
Jason

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html