Security Basics mailing list archives

IDS

From: "Endre Szekely-Bencedi" <Endre.Szekely-Bencedi () hu-tcs com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 12:17:11 +0200

Hi List,

I'd like to ask you to recommend some IDS I could test. Our company is
about 100-120 PCs large at the
moment, that could increase to up to 400 in the near future. I am
currently trying eTrust IDS v1.5 but it reports
many false alarms, also it just reports the half of the traffic as 'other
protocols' so I really can't get much useful
information from that.
Is Snort's software any good? It is free, and that's just nice. I was
thinking to try it one of these days when I'll
have a bit of spare time. Should I bother with the Windows version or I
should just put it on a Unix machine?

Any other tips, software that can do traffic logging/analysis/intrusion
detection?

Thanks.

PS: Please, CC me the answers as I don't have much time to read mails
usually so I might delete it along with
        the many other mailing list mails if I'm hurrying.

Greetings,
Endre Szekely-Bencedi
_____________________________________
Tata Consultancy Services
H-1054 Budapest, Kalman Imre u. 1.
Tel.: +36 1 4751214
FAX: +36 1 475 1111
Email: Endre.Szekely-Bencedi () hu-tcs com
_____________________________________

"THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE ALONG WITH ANY ATTACHMENTS IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE
ADDRESSEE and may contain confidential and privileged information. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this communication is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message by error, please
notify us immediately, return the original mail to the sender and delete
the message from your system."

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html