Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: tcp/ip routing question / router design EDITED

From: "first last" <in5ecure24 () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 06:23:20 -0400

Hello everyone
Thank you for your replys,

Ok heres my problem, I am missing one peice of my designed network. I need 3 PCs working as clients or servers, and a device to route between them, and my internet connection. Now the peice im missing is the router, id like to use a PC or the DSL router to route my traffic untill i get my other pc running (which is to be the router).

Im having rouble deciding which one to use,

i can use the DSL as the router but im restricted to one LAN that way (so i cant physicaly seperate my LAN and DMZ...), tho i can set up PAT/NAT on the DSL to 1 pc on the LAN.

                                                       OR

i can use a pc as my router and loose a server from my network, but this was i can set up IPSec RRAS.... i already have a server sitting right next to me w. the 3 nics in it i just cant decide which to go w/

so what do you guys think? i figure ill los a bit of security if i use the dsl, but ill loss a server if i go w/ the pc. so, DSL, PC or OTHER

Thanks once again