Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Protecting an Exchange server?

From: "Sanjay K. Patel" <sanjay.patel () rexwire com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:09:05 -0400

 What you trying to do is put a relay server in the DMZ. All external e-mail
will come from the internet to this relay server which will than forward it
to the Exchange server located in your LAN. Cheapest way to do this is to
setup a linux box running sendmail in your DMZ. This box will receive all
mail and than forward it to your Exchange box. One of the benefits of this
could be you can do virus and spam filtering on this box thus taking the
load of Exchange.

This is very simple to do.

-SKP