Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: locking down my solaris box

From: Ivan Angelov <iba () efficient-soft com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 01:54:33 +0300

Hello,

Juan Declet wrote:

There are services that I know I need, such as samba-swat, sun-manageconsole, abyss, vnc, etc.
This server offers http and samba services, but not much else. Can someone shed some light
on what the echo, discard, daytime, chargen services are for, and if there is any potential
of hosing the machine if these are disabled? I am trying to lockdown this machine against intrusions.

# netstat -lnp
This command will give you information about which ports are open and which processes listen on them. However if you notice difference in the output of that command and the output of the nmap (e.g. nmap shows that 7100 is open, but netstat thinks it's not open) then you should consider that your machine might have been cracked.

Also, I would like to know what file(s) hold info on which services use which ports.

/etc/services

Regards,
Ivan Angelov

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html