Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Authenticity of downloads

From: jburzenski () americanhm com
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:19:26 -0400

MD5 and SHA1 are standard hashing methods and there are (open source and
other) tools available on just about every OS for generating a hash.  I use
md5sum and sha1sum in linux.

Here is a way to do it with visual c# .net
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307020

There are some freeware tools on the web, just google for "md5 hash on
windows" and you'll see a bunch.

Hope this helps.

I wish to know if ther is any accepted method of verifying
downloads. There is MD5 and SHA 1 , but do every place
support this ? what software available for checking the
downloads? I am worried about microsoft downloads as is there
any specified way to do this?

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html