Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows 2kserver with XP clients - Policies

From: "Dennis Schut" <Dennis.Schut () infratects nl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 13:55:29 +0200

Hi Ivan,

Just to be sure, you mean that you want to control specific XP settings
via a gPO?

If that's the case, you should think about creating your own
administrative templates (.ADM).

Another thing you can do is to import .ADM templates from a Windows
Server 2003 machine or XP machine.

You can find additional information regarding the above on the following
website.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpmanaged
/31_xpapc.mspx

If the desired settings are not in these .ADM's, then you can always
create your own.

This is the way I do it:

On a XP machine install a registry monitor tool which monitors the
changes in the registry.

For example, if you want to have a gPO setting that disables the
firewall.

On the XP machine were you installed the registry monitor tool, first
enable and then disable the firewall, don't forget to first activate the
tool, the tool will register which registry key is used for this action.
If you find the registry key that records this, then you can create an
ADM with the desired settings that you want, disable and/or enable.

Import your ADM file in the XP workstation gPO, link it to the
applicable OU, and test your gPO on a XP machine.

I have attached an .ADM template, so you can see what kind of code you
must use to create one. There is additional information regarding the
ADM code, but I do not know anymore were you can find it, just search
the Microsoft website for ADM, and you will probably find it.

If you have any questions, feel free to mail me

Best Regards,

Dennis Schut
Technical Consultant
Infratects BV