Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Caching a sniffer

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:55:49 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Jackson [mailto:sjackson () horizonusa com]

1. Dump the entire MAC table.  Switch acts as if power on
reset just
occurred.

Seams logical, but I've never seen it implemented. It would
halt traffic while learning resumes, in addition if other checks
needed to run (Spanning Tree/CDP) it would take much longer.

  No.  Traffic will flood while learning restarts from
scratch. Nothing was said about dumping STP/CDP statuses.

Traffic will halt because the switch can't forward at the point it's
trying to learn the network.

  You've confused routine learning of source MAC addresses with the
"learning" mode that ports go through while spanning tree is reconverging.
It's true that packets won't be forwarded in the latter case, but
resetting the MAC table (forgetting learned source MACs) need not force
a spanning-tree reconvergence, and if it doesn't then the traffic will
flood temporarily (as source MACs are re-learned) rather than be dropped.

2. Stop learning.  All previously learned MAC addresses
remain, and so only traffic for unrecognized MAC addresses
gets sent to all ports.

That would damage the network. If a new client fires up, they
would not get added to the switches tables and not receive any
traffic.

  Destinations not in the table normally get flooded, not
dropped. Dropping this traffic is possible, but not a normal
part of the action being suggested.

If the system fires up on the afflicted switch. If it's in another
segment of the network all systems and paths on the afflicted switch
would be dark because the switch would use it's current MAC->Port
table, and not add additional MAC's to the port.

  Flooding unknown destinations to all ports (except the origin)
*includes* forwarding to uplink/inter-switch ports.  So hosts on
the afflicted switch will still be able to reach hosts on other
switches, and vice versa.

3. Partial Purge of table.  Some portion of the table
gets purged
and the switch continues, treating those purged MAC
addresses as if
this was the first time they were seen.  Depending upon how the
purged addresses are selected - oldest first, youngest first,
random, lowest MAC addresses, highest MAC addresses or
something
else - will cause the switch to act differently for
different users.

Seams a better solution out of the bunch, could be a pain to
implement.

  Some switches routinely age unused entries out of the
table. Accelerating this process if the table fills shouldn't
be too hard.

You can usually modify aging in the configuration. But the aging time
would have to outpace the flood to keep the table clear, this would
result in more traffic and load for the switch.

  I think this suggestion was that the MAC flood would trigger the aging,
so it keeps pace automatically.  That, in turn, requires the malicious
host that's flooding bogus MAC addresses to continue doing so, in order
to try to keep valid MACs from being retained in the table (long enough
to keep their traffic from flooding and being seen by the sniffer).

David Gillett

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html