Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SPYWARE detection

From: "Mike" <mike () superiorholidayadventures ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:32:05 -0500

Microsoft's ISA server is a good example of an application layer proxy:  http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver/

There are many ways to "block" spyware:

* You can blacklist domains that are known for these spyware programs when they phone home.  These, I'm sure, would
change.. making a management nightmare.
* You could use a Group Policy and deny running a list of .exe's known to belong to spyware.  Again, things change,
management nightmare.
* There's always SpyBot and Ad-Aware.  A decent way to protect against spyware.. but if you've got a lot of
workstations under your umbrella, this method could prove to be prohibitive.
* You could use a "Watchdog" type of card (http://www.cyic.com/watchdog.htm).

There are many methods to deal with the plague that is spyware/adware.  Those are just some of my ideas.

Mike Fetherston