Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Legal? Road Runner proactive scanning.

From: "Mark Medici" <mark () dbma com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:48:54 -0500

What could be considered "illegal" or "unethical" or even "unexpected"
about scanning your own network for security vulnerabilities and
prohibited services?  Personally, I welcome any signs of responsible
behavior from ISPs whom, as a category, seem to be mostly clueless on
issues any more complicated setting-up Outlook Express and Netscape for
email (maybe that's not fair, but my only contact with most of these
organizations is via the call center).

Remember, the ISP "owns" the network; you are only a subscriber.  They
drive the bus and collect the fare; you either enjoy the ride or get off
and walk.