Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Am I over reacting?

From: Michael Horn <z28fun () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:46:33 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for the info guys.  It was defiantly showing
our NAT address.  I forget we have this lovely thing
called a firewall that so far can't be exploited; yet.

Michael
--- James.Fields () bcbsfl com wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it, for these
reasons:

1) IP addresses have to be revealed all the time in
order for network
communications to work.  DNS servers hand them out
all the time.  Having
them displayed on the screen isn't much of a
giveaway - they can be seen
in arp tables, using sniffers, and plenty of other
tools.

2) There is a better than even chance that the IP
address you are seeing
is not the actual address of the computer being
used.  Most corporate
AND home customers these days are using RFC1918
addressing and using
Network Address Translation to make use of a smaller
number of available
IP addresses.