Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Root account desactivated

From: "Torry Crass" <torryc () paradigm-digital com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:23:58 -0600

This may or may not 'work' from a practical sense since I've never tried it
but the first thing I would do is boot into single-user mode with a RH boot
disk (the one you should have made when you installed) If you don't have
this disk you should be able to make one as a basic user on the system.
Once you get into single-user mode you might be able to get into etc and
edit the passwd file and add a shell back into it.  If this doesn't work,
you might look into ways of overwriting the file somehow.  For instance,
take the file to another computer and modify it accordingly and then in
single-user mode copy the file over itself (if it will allow it).  That's
about all I can think up right now.  Good luck!

Torry Crass
torryc () paradigm-digital com
Service Manager || Paradigm Digital Systems