Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patch Mgmt. - MS SMS Installer - Embedding Logon Credentials

From: "Jack Cullen" <jack_cullen () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:43:54 -0500

Let me elaborate:
The MS SMS 2003 manual states that in order to roll out the SMS client agent to Windows 2000 clients via login script (or the like) the user must have Admin-level credentials. If not, it states, you can use MS SMS Installer to create a client agent installer .msi file with local Admin-level logon credentials embedded in the executable. Interestingly enough (to me anyway), is the fact that I am also rolling out McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator which provides this feature via the Admin Console. It will create an agent install executable with local Admin-level credentials (%COMPUTERNAME%\Administrator + password). I have installed over 1000 EPO agents to Windows 2000 clients via login scripts, etc. with this Admin-enabled executable (no major meldowns yet!!!).
 In summary I am looking for:
1) The procedure to create (recreate, repackage) the MS SMS 2003 Advanced Client agent install (ccmsetup.exe and client.msi) with local Admin-level credentials embedded to deploy via login script (I realize capinst.exe is for use in login scripts) 2) The reason this can't be done with other executables (such as MS security patches in an emergency, sent via email for example)

PS: Rod, I bought all your books and have even sent copies to all my in-laws.