Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: GOTOMYPC Corporate?

From: "Graydon McKee" <graydon.s.mckee.iv () orcmacro com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:45:35 -0500

Well, I would agree that GoToMyPC is a security risk but there are always risks out there.  The
trouble is deciding what is acceptable risk for your current environment.  Personally, I'd like to
see GoToMyPC go away but that decision is not mine to make.  To answer the question as to how do I
know an employee hasn't bought the product for himself and installed it without my knowledge.  Your
right I could put hands on every machine and do physical audits, or I could just watch connections
over Port 8200 and match those with authorized machines.  We run static IP's on our internal so that
is pretty easy.  Or I could just only allow connections thru my firewall on Port 8200 for those
machines that are authorized with an ACL (Which is what I do.)

When speaking about security and remote connections - how can you trust that a home user with VPN
connection doesn't take company data and move it to his home machine, how can you be assured that
their systems are secure, that there is no bridging between their open internet connection, that
they are running a fully updated Anti-Virus program.  There is risk involved in every connection.
All the policies and procedures in the world can't secure the network without monitoring and
enforcement. In theory we can dictate that personal machines on the remote end of a VPN fall under
our control and must conform to our policies but how often does this happen in the real world?
People are people and they are going to do what they want.  By establishing system security in such
a way that it hampers an employees ability to do their job they will find a way to work around it.
By setting up system security in such a way that channels the employees workflow with minimal
impact, you can control and monitor what is happening.

I'm not sure how things are in your environment but there are plenty of decisions that I have no
part of but still have to make them work as securely as I can.  At the end of the day, IMHO, the
network is there for one reason, to allow the employees to do the business of the company.  As the
security administrator, my job is to make is as secure as possible without undue interference to the
company workflow.  It's all a balancing act.  What I'd like to have happened to secure the network
and what I can actually implement can be different.  It all comes down to what level of risk is the
company willing to take in order to do business.

Graydon S McKee IV - GSEC
Firewall/Security Administrator
ORC Macro - Macro International
11785 Beltsville Drive