Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Virus Notification Template

From: "Jennifer Fountain" <jfountain () rbinc com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:29:16 -0500

This is what we send out and the users seem to understand (HTH):

Subject:        Virus Alert - 1/4/2004

Notice:

There is a new virus that is circulating around the internet and may
cause damage to your machine.  Please read below for a description and
how to prevent infection.  If you receive any email or files that
resemble the below description, please do not open the file/email and
delete the file/email immediately.

Name of virus:
MyDoom

Method of Infections:
Email

Virus Characteristics:
The virus arrives in an email message as follows:
From: (Spoofed email sender)
Do not assume that the sender address is an indication that the sender
is infected. Additionally you may receive alert messages from a ail
server that you are infected, which may not be the case.

Subject: (Varies, such as)
*       Error
*       Status
*       Server Report
*       Mail Transaction Failed
*       Mail Delivery System
*       hello
*       hi

Body: (Varies, such as)
*       The message cannot be represented in 7-bit ASCII encoding and
has been sent as a binary attachment.
*       The message contains Unicode characters and has been sent as a
binary attachment.
*       Mail transaction failed. Partial message is available.

ZIP archive) (22,528 bytes)
*       examples (common names, but can be random)
*       doc.bat
*       document.zip
*       message.zip
*       readme.zip
*       text.pif
*       hello.cmd
*       body.scr
*       test.htm.pif
*       data.txt.exe
*       file.scr

Symptoms (if infected):
*       Upon executing the virus, Notepad is opened, filled with
nonsense characters.

Please forward all questions or concerns to the helpdesk.

Thank you
The Helpdesk.