Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: managing a SYN flood

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:39:10 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: nick [mailto:nick () mobilia it]

Managing a syn flood really can't be done at the server level, even if
you're denying all the traffic coming from the IP address (or
addresses), it's still going to be clogging your pipe.

  All true, except that while a SYN flood *may* clog the pipe, that's
not it's primary mode of attack.

  The first packet of a TCP "3-way handshake" has the SYN flag set.  When
the server sees that, it responds with a packet with SYN and ACK set.  A
packet with just ACK set completes the handshake.
  In order to recognize and process that ACK packet, the server needs to
remember that it already saw a corresponding SYN and sent a SYN-ACK.  That
"remembering" function is implemented by a connection table in the server.

  Connection tables are often of fixed size.  A SYN flood DOS/DDOS attack
is based on the premise that hosts might not gracefully handle the condition
where the connection table becomes full; or at least may start rejecting
valid connection requests if it has enough half-processed spurious ones.

  SYN packets are quite small.  By comparison, the time a naive host will
keep a half-opened connection in its table, waiting for the ACK, is quite
large.  A stream of SYNs sufficient to keep a host's table full might not
use enough bandwidth to interfere with other servers/users at the site,
let alone actually "clog the pipe".
  (The attacker is never going to send the ACK packet, so he's free to spoof
the source address.  If he makes it randomly different on every packet, that
will limit how much help an upstream provider can be.)

  The most effective mitigations for a SYN flood are to modify the host's
connection table handling code, either to time incomplete connections out
more agressively, or discard incomplete connections as necessary when the
table is full to accept new connections.
  A few network appliances claim to detect and block such attacks.  I'm not
sure how effective they can be if the source addresses are spoofed at
random.

David Gillett

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html