Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: email address "spoofed"

From: pablo gietz <pablo.gietz () nuevobersa com ar>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 15:49:49 -0300

DonĀ“t worry this occurs all the time.  look at

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/email_spoofing.html

Regards

Tim Laureska wrote:

I'm not sure if "spoofing" is the correct term but here is what has
happened:

Someone is sending out email messages (with virus laden attachments)
using our domain name  ... they are addressed as coming from
support () ourdomainname com (ourdomainame would be our actual domain name)
which is an email address that we never set up.

My question is how is this done and is there anything we can do to
prevent this in the future?  The message header looks like this:

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html

.