Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: preventing SYNC attacks...

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 4 Mar 2004 13:49:08 -0000

i know that acording to some microsoft papers, i can prevent sync
attacks

Sync attacks, or SYN attacks?

in every compurter by modifying the registry (at least in win nt
4.0 & 5.0). In a large network this only means one thing: tons of work
without forgetting this may carry another tons of problems if we are not
cautious enough...

I'm not sure where you got that idea.  The Registry change (for SYN attacks, anyway...don't know what you're referring
to regarding SYNC attacks) can be scripted using batch files or Perl very easily.  When rolling out the change, of
course, you'd want to run it on designated test systems first, in order to identify any issues that should occur.
That's your "caution".

but i was wondering if there is such a way to prevent sync attacks from
an upper level, like for example cisco switches or routers, may be a
firewall?

Actually, yes...in most cases.  RTFM.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html