Security Basics mailing list archives

A basic Question from a new bie!!

From: new bie kapper <securekaps () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:42:04 -0800 (PST)

 Hi all ,
 I just recently started with my new job which
 involves
 security monitoring on csids , iss real secure and
 entercept sensors.I was looking if anybody could
 help
 me with like websites on internet which would give
 good tips on incident response like different ways i
 could work on a suspiious attack to conclude
 wheheter
 its an attack or a fals epositive whetehr ia server
 was compromised or not and that stuff for example we
can telnet to a webserver to see its patchlevel or
 iis
 version,do nslookup ,what r other tips and where i
 could find those.
 thanks in advance
 kaps

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

Free 30-day trial: firewall with virus/spam protection, URL filtering, VPN,
wireless security

Protect your network against hackers, viruses, spam and other risks with Astaro
Security Linux, the comprehensive security solution that combines six
applications in one software solution for ease of use and lower total cost of
ownership.

Download your free trial at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Astaro_security-basics_040301