Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Alternative to Windows Explorer

From: "Halverson, Chris" <chris.halverson () encana com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:58:45 -0600

Thomas,

You could also try a command line runas to progman.exe.  Yes the old program
manager from win 3.1 days still lives on newer versions of Windows.  You
could run any number of programs with this interface.  The only downfall is
that you need to be local admin on the box to run properly, in what I found.
And trying to remember how progman works is another

; )

CH

Subject: Alternative to Windows Explorer

Dear List,

we are trying to work out a policy, that every admin should be logged on to
his client (WinXP-SP1) with a non-administrative account (smartcard logon)
and start the programs for administrative tasks with the runas - command as
admistrator. That works rather good, the account cannot access our
fileservers and all the other things that can be compromised by a worm or
virus. There's just one problem, you can't start windows explorer with
runas. We use the internet explorer  (runas with the administrative account)
for managing file servers, but this is rather bad (for example there is no
automatic refresh). Is there an alternative to windows explorer with the
same features? The few i found cannot access the network by typing UNC
Paths, only with mapped drives - they are more useful for local usage.

Best regards,
Thomas

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html