Security Basics mailing list archives

Network Discovery & Asset Management Tools

From: "Michael Chilcott" <michael_chilcott () emoryhealthcare org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:38:32 -0400

Hello Group,
   I was wondering what tools are being used to discover new devices (PC's, printers, & tablets) as they are being
plugged into the network. Having a class "B" network we have different routers, and switches through-out. What is the
best way to find and discovery devices plugging in to the network?
   Going hand-in-hand with that is a question of Asset management tools. We have multiple O/S's in the network, so it
must be able to determine what is what, and have it entered automatically/manually into the app or db.
   Now what would be really Great is a tool that can take the info from the "Network Discovery Tool" and add it to the
Asset Management tool".
   What applications work/not work and what experiences does everyone have?

Thanks,
Mike

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html