Security Basics mailing list archives

nmap questions

From: "Steven A. Fletcher" <sfletcher () integrityts com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 00:34:19 -0500

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but I
thought I would give it a try.

I have run into an interesting problem when trying to UDP port scans
with nmap.  TCP SYN scans work fine, but if I try doing a UDP scan, it
comes back with "Too many drops ... increasing senddelay" numerous times
in a row.  It does seem that if I leave the scan running long enough, it
eventually completes the scan.  On a very small network, this is not a
problem.  However, on larger networks, I do not wish to wait that long.
Also, it happens on an internal network, so the problem does not appear
to be that the hosts are behind a firewall.

I have been trying to do what I can to have the scan finish in a fairly
reasonable amount of time, so I was hoping to improve the performance,
if possible.  A Google search returned nothing helpful, so that is why I
am trying here.

Just in case it is needed, here is the command line I am using:

                nmap -sS -sU -O -v -oA test -T3 -F --min_parallelism 100
192.168.1.0/24

Also, the machine is running MandrakeLinux 9.2 and kernel version
2.4.26.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Steve Fletcher
Senior Network Engineer, MCSE, Master ASE, CCNA
Integrity Technology Solutions
Phone: (309)664-8129
Toll Free: (888) 764-8100 ext. 129
Fax: (309) 662-6421
sfletcher () integrityts com

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html