Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: WToolsA / WToolsS

From: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii () shaka com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:22:52 -1000

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=WToolsA&btnG=Google+Search

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan" <larsmith () tds net>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2004 4:15 AM
Subject: WToolsA / WToolsS

Anyone here have any experience with WToolsA and/or WToolsS ?

I noticed, in the RUN folder on a WXP PC, an entry involving WinTools. Deleted the entry. Closed the RUN folder,
opened it again
and the entry was right back there.

Didn't surprise me when I deleted the WinTools folder on the PC and got an "access denied" error, stating that the
program /
folder contents were in use.

Nor did it surprise me when I did Ctrl-Alt-Del and went to the Processes tab, that I saw WToolsA running.  When I
tried to "End
Process", it came right back up.  Same with WToolsS.

Anyone know of any effective tools for removing it ?

Farz I know, it's ad/spyware but even the latest of Ad-Aware and SpyBot didn't even notice / remove the problem.

Allan Smith, NCAA, NDAA

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html