Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: upgrading to IE6 on w2k servers

From: "Ian Dexter R. Marquez" <iandexter () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:32:56 +0800

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:10:28 +0300, Alexandros Papadopoulos
On 2004-07-27 Juan B wrote:
I want to know why is it recommended to upgrade my servers to IE6.

I didnt find any reason at all !!! ( from the security point of
view..).

From a security point of view, the recommended upgrade would be to
install some other browser, not to upgrade IE.

But there are some reasons for upgrading, e.g.:

- Product lifecycle
- OE 6 allows for displaying mails as plaintext

No security conscious person would use Outlook Express to read email on
a server. Come to think of it, no such person would use OE, period.

- Better cookie-handling
- You need at least IE 5.5 to manage a SUS through its web-frontend

I only found thie line in lits of site "it is recommended to update
to IE6". but why ?

why I need to upgrade ?
I have IE5 on the servers and I surf the net from those servers.

You shouldn't misuse servers as desktops.

I second that. The only web connection a server should make is to
windowsupdate.com (if you don't have an internal SUS server).

During a Microsoft event here in the Philippines, IIRC, the Microsoft
evangelist specifically said that Windows Server 2003 comes with a
lower version of IE because one should never surf the Web on a server
in the first place, and the only thing you want to do with IE (in a
server) is for updates.

--
Ian Dexter R. Marquez

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html