Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Discovery & Asset Management Tools

From: Balaji Prasad <bp1974 () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:38:48 -0700

Mike:
Your best way to go about this is to use HP OpenView, which has a comprehensive auto-detection facility for medium to large networks. Ofcourse this implies that most of your devices will be SNMP aware. This could be your best bet for a Class B network. A quick search for an open source variant lead to http://terminus.sourceforge.net/
Not sure whether it is as good as OpenView tho'.

To answer your next question, check out http://www.neon.com/LSwin.html. However if you are looking for a fun project, there are many tools that can identify different OSes by their network signature. Most obvious example is "nmap". With nmap feeding off from your DNS database and some perl/mysql, you can come up with a tool that will maintain a running database of assets in your network.

Hope this helped.

Balaji