Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing Linux based public access terminals

From: "E.Scichilone" <ens () telsh de>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:23:23 +0200

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 12:48:33PM +0100, Andrew Shore wrote:
Hi

I have a project where I need to give access to the internet to groups
of users who do not work for the company running the workstations.
Hence, the company do not want the users to access any other part of the
network. For reasons too complicated to go into here I can't hive this
portion of the network off onto a DMZ or even a secure vlan.

What I would like to is run a Linux workstation (RedHat probably 9 even
though it's out of support) but when the user logs into the windows
session all they get is the browser. No menus no right click on the desk
top just a basic single application "dumb terminal". I've seen this done
before but it was too well secured for me to see how it was done! Also
I'd like to the workstation to log straight in as a local user with out
user intervention.

Any ideas how I can achieve this or perhaps secure it in another way, I
remember with windows 3.x you could change the windows manager settings
in win.ini and it did exactly what I want. I just really don't want to
use Windows 3.1 ;)

Good idea, indeed :)
Have you given a windowanager like the before mentioned blackbox,
fluxbox or windowmanager a try? Probably the settings in a xinitrc and a
chroot is all you need, though I have not done it before...

Have fun!
enrico

--
###