Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Which Windows OS is Safest

From: Guybrush Threepwood <domain.admin () online ie>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:13:51 +0100

Quoting Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Guybrush Threepwood wrote:

There is a Windows OS u didn't mention. It is impossible to break into
it via the net. It cannot be affected by any trojans, viruses, malicious
code
and such. It's called Windows 3.11.

Actually, some of us had our first browsing experience back in 1993 on
Windows 3.11 with Winsock and the old NCSA Mosaic browser. :) I still
remember that old Toshiba laptop I had back then. This system would no
doubt be vulnerable to one or two buffer overflow vulnerabilities, don't
you think? And yes that thing had quite its share of viruses that could be
downloaded off the net, too.

Mosaic you say? How about lynx. Who needs pretty pictures.

About buffer overflows I'm not sure. I'll go check bugtraq archives now.
I don't recollect seeing 3.11 on their list.

--
The lady on the call box in Monkey Island 2
Guybrush: I'm lost in the Inky Island Jungle in Monkey 2

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off
any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less
to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors.
Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field
pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills
of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization.
Visit us at:
http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html