Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunneling SMTP Traffic Via SSH Question

From: Gene Cronk <gcronk () trsg net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:02:59 -0400

First, the obvious question:

What are the settings in Outlook? Based on the info you have here about your tunnel setup, your SMTP settings in Outlook should be 127.0.0.1 port 3225. If this is correct, on to phase two:

Can you telnet into localhost on port 3225? If so, does it reply with the remote server's SMTP server signature?

--
Gene Cronk - CISSP, NSA-IAM (gcronk () trsg net)
The Robin Shepherd Group -- Systems Administrator

dsimcik () bentley edu wrote:
Hi,
My apologies if this is a dumb question -- I'm attempting to forward port 25 (SMTP) over SSH via Putty to an off-campus mail server. Here are my connection parameters:

Session> Hostname (for SSH): mail.myserver.com          Port: 22
SSH > Preferred SSH protocol version: 2
Tunnels> Forwarded ports: localhost port 3225 to Destination mail.myserver.com:25

When I try testing the connection in Outlook it returns an error saying that Outlook cannot connect to the server. I know that out our outbound WAN connection is blocking outbound port 25 traffic and I was hoping that I could get around that via SSH forwarding. Firewalls can't peer into the tunneled packet headers, can they? Help!
Cheers,
DTS

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html