Security Basics mailing list archives

working with nemesis

From: Bhaarath Venkateswaran <bhaarath.venkateswaran () lucidsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 09:57:43 -0400

hello everybody,
i am pretty new working on the packet crafting tool nemesis. though i have efficiently used hping before , i thought nemesis is far more interesting than hping and hence started to play around with it, but iam still not able to observe the injected packet on my target using tcpdump, when the packet injection is successfull.

i have no problem in understanding the options for all the protocols fields and i even simulate and get the output for
some of the options and results that i got used using the tool are

C:\tools\>nemesis.exe icmp -v -i 13 -S 10.125.125.125 -D 10.110.110.110 -G 10.107.107.127 -qT

ICMP Packet Injection -=- The NEMESIS Project Version 1.4beta3 (Build 22)

             [IP] 10.125.125.125 > 10.110.110.110
          [IP ID] 65286
       [IP Proto] ICMP (1)
         [IP TTL] 255
         [IP TOS] 00
 [IP Frag offset] 0000
  [IP Frag flags]

      [ICMP Type] Timestamp Request
      [ICMP Code] Timestamp Request
        [ICMP ID] 27402
[ICMP Seq number] 4459

Wrote 40 byte ICMP packet.

ICMP Packet Injected

now , i have successfully used it to get results for tcp and udp , but when i try to see the packet injected using tcpdump on my target which i attacked iam not able to see anything reaching the target , but the results i get show that the packet has been successfully injected.

Am i missing something here?  enlighten me guys.
how can i know for certain that the target is attacked without seeing the packet getting thru to the target.

i do have an checkpoint firewall infront of the target. i do not see the packet in the firewall logs also.

thanking you for the same
bhaarath.v

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html