Security Basics mailing list archives

checking logs (was: Re: Securing Corporate Web Based Email

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:26:45 -0500

Wish folks would.  Some of the first shell scripting I wrote years ago
(back issue Sys Admin magazine for some) pre-perl snagged a days worth
of logs from multiple logs on multiple machines, time-sequenced the
mess, then mailed them off-system.  Astounding things appear in the
logs...

Jim

sil wrote:

the sake of understanding what is going on within their networks. For
instance, on my PERSONAL sites, I always have had the habits of tail
-f'ing various logs to see in real time what is happening in order to make
my sites/networks more effective for the end user and for myself.

One can understand the actions of users based on repetitiveness at times,
and configure things from there, as well as get an understanding if
someone is trying to `beat the system' if you will, and address things
from there on.

--
James W. Meritt CISSP, CISA
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!