Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FTP Proxy

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:19:29 -0800

If the client is configured to do active transfers, then the
client will issue the connection request to the FTP server
(for the control connection), while it'll be the FTP server
the one that will issue the connection request for the data
connection.  That means that if you want to do active
transfers, you must allow incoming connections requests to
your network (which you probably don't want to do).

If the client is configured to do passive transfers, the
client will use the connection requests for both the control
and data connections.  That means, you won't need to allow
incoming connection requests to hosts inside your network.
I think it's the best option.

  Which is "best" depends on whether you're looking from the
client side or the server side, and what kind of border security
you have at each end.
  If you have stateful firewalls with FTP fixup, they can listen
to the FTP control conversation and permit the requested data
connections as needed -- and this is true regardless of which
direction wants to open the data connection.
  If you rely on packet filters, either the client side or the
server side has to allow arbitrary data connections to be opened.
The only closure of this hole you can implement is that if the
server opens the data connection ("active" mode), the source port
number will be 20.  [In "Hacking Exposed", there's passing reference
to doing a pen-test against a network that would permit any
connection sourced from port 20; this is why it was configured that
way.]

  It isn't that passive mode is "better" than or "more secure" than
(boy, have I heard that one claimed a lot of times!) active mode; it's
that if you're not using stateful firewalls that know about FTP,
passive mode dumps all the risk on the server instead of the clients.

David Gillett