Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Worm.SCO.A

From: "Reggie Jackson" <rjacksonlists () flamingdragon net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:31:07 -0600

I belive that worm is the same as W32.Novarg.A@mm since that work DDOS's
www.sco.com starting feb 1.

--Reggie
-- IRC = Network irc.ugc.net
            Channel #ug or #linux
            Nick Shivan_
-- Yahoo = jacksonr123
-- AIM = jacksonr123
-- ICQ = 43593443

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Jackson [mailto:sjackson () horizonusa com]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 4:38 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Worm.SCO.A

        Anyone else encountering this? I've just got hammered with a few
hundred of these in the last hour and a half and I can't quite discern what
exactly the virii is. There doesn't seam to be a map from ClamAV virus
naming format to any other. Anyone have a clue of what this virus is?

        I looked at the quarantine, and it seamed to be just the virii
payload and no content, file.pif.exe. I've also seen it as a file.zip,
doc.zip, document.zip, document.pif, rhn.scr, data.zip, message.zip,
test.zip. There could be more, but I just don't have the time to check the
payload on all the messages.

-------------------AMAVIS REPORT------------------ A virus (Worm.SCO.A) was
found.

Two banned names (file.pif, .exe) were found.

Scanner detecting a virus: Clam Antivirus-clamd

The mail originated from: <ctccyc () aol com>

According to the 'Received:' trace, the message originated at:
   aol.com (unknown [12.9.171.xxx])

The message WAS NOT delivered to:
<xxx () horizonusa com>:
   550 5.7.1 Message content rejected, id=28441-07 - VIRUS: Worm.SCO.A

Virus scanner output:
   /var/amavisd/tmp/amavis-20040126T141220-28441/parts/part-00002:
Worm.SCO.A FOUND

The message has been quarantined as:
   /var/amavisd/quarantine/virus-20040126-141800-28441-07