Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: XMAS Scanning

From: "Fields, James" <James.Fields () bcbsfl com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:09:13 -0500

It is my understanding that each combination of flags can do one of two things:

1) fake out a simple firewall looking for only certain flags

or more likely

2) elicit a response from the target that will help to identify the operating system in use.  Different OS's respond in
fairly predictable ways to odd combinations of flags.