Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: security advice

From: "Thomas F. Szabo" <tszabo () diamondtech net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:56:40 -0500

Hi Davie,

"can anyone give me some tips to secure the network?"

Well since your post doesn't necessarily tell us what the network is
being used for (apps, file shares, e-mail, etc.) you can't really give a
detailed response only generic ideas.

"I am also planning on setting up the NAT thing in the server and
installing
a proxy then disabling all
ports except the proxys (is this a good idea?)"

IF they are using this server as a DC and a file/app server I would
HIGHLY recommend NOT using it as a NAT/Proxy server to the Internet.
You are much better off buying a simple Linksys/Netgear type of device
to secure/share your Internet connection.  Think about it do you really
want your main server exposed to the net in any way shape or form?

Tom Szabo
Diamond Technology

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!