Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: UDP Port 137 Question

From: JGrimshaw () ASAP com
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:11:16 -0600

Hi everyone,

I am curious as to what the resolution for this was.

I did not receive a message that "X" fixed it; did anyone receive one?

Gurus,

I have couple of servers that are constantly trying to go outbound on UDP
Port 137 (Nbname).  The event is occurring 4-5 times per second.  All
outbound traffic is being dropped by my firewall.  However, I am just
trying
to find out what is the reason -

I have AV on the server with latest definition - I have ran manual AV Scan
-
I have ran Welchia / Nimda / etc removal tool - I have ran Spyware removal

tool - All of them comes up clean. The outbound address are for example:
156.67.52.182 to 156.67.52.204 --- 9.108.180.138-154 -- 145.46.77.202-241
-
There are more of these network ranges ( I have already done whois on all
these IP range)

Oh yeah - the servers are Win2k with SP3 or Win2k with SP4 with latest HF.

Please help me to isolate what I am facing?  This should not be a normal
Traffic Pattern, since only couple of my servers are producing this
traffic

TIA

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!