Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Dumb question abt. Wireless WEP security 2 - ssl

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:24:50 -0800 (PST)

hi ya hth

Hi!

As per my understanding, the SSL channel - will not be compromised in
case the password is discovered. Of course - in such a case you don't
need to do any kind of sniffing etc, u can directly log in! but
technically - the 48 byte passphrase used to encrypt the SSL
connection (which uses a pre-determined encryption algo (RSA,DES
etc)) is exchanged between the the server and the client before the
https connection can be setup.

wireless communicatins is done with 40bit rc4 cipher... NOT ssl ...

rc4 has been broken back in feb 2001 by simple brute force, and/or
by people using dictionary or trivial passwords

even if you use wireless w/ ssh or ssl ... your encrypted ssh/ssl
data is ( wirelessly ) sniffed and decryptable since your initial
passwd/pass phrase was also sniffed

c ya
alvin

ssh/ssl encryption doesnt help if you use insecure passphrases
or an exploitable ssh daemon/clients

(wireless stuff) wep is cracked ...

more wireless fun
      http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Wireless/

Ethical Hacking at InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $720 off any
course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less.
We provide Ethical Hacking, Advanced Ethical Hacking, Intrusion Prevention,
and many other technical hands on courses.
Visit us at http://www.infosecinstitute.com/securityfocus to get $720 off
any course!