Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: *warning* student question

From: "Shawn Jackson" <sjackson () horizonusa com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:07:02 -0800

        Right, but how, by crafting packets on a remote system could you
can root access to a target system. My thought was that if the target
system was using an old style rlogin with the 'allowed' hosts file set
you could craft packets to try and gain root from that system, though
actually getting the receiving traffic would be harder unless you spoof
the IP/MAC.

        TCP Session hijacking allows you to take control of an existing
communications channel and subvert it. Unless this session could gain
you access to the target server then it wouldn't fit within Aaron's
example. Even that, protocols like SSH/SSL would prevent session
hijacking, possibly Telnet?

Shawn Jackson
Systems Administrator
Horizon USA