Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: *warning* student question

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:22:20 -0800

  What on earth is a "random CRC"?

  A CRC is a value calculated using a specific algorithm.  A
recipient that wants to validate the CRC executes the same
algorithm and either arrives at the same result, or does not.
  IF it's a CRC, then the interloper can (and must) recalculate
it as part of tweaking the packet.

  I haven't looked closely at this part of IPv6.  It's possible
that this value depends on some kind of key that is not present
in the packet itself.  If that's true, then

(a) only the end-point recipient can check it, so it can't be
    dropped by routers as "invalid", and

(b) it's not really a CRC, it's probably a "hash".

  In no case, however, is it "random".

David Gillett